Here’s where I discuss everything you need to know about Vitamins, Minerals, Phytonutrients, Antioxidants and the such. 🙂
Some basic background on vitamins and minerals:
- There are four fat soluble vitamins (Vitamins A, D, E and K) and nine water soluble (8 B vitamins and Vitamin C).
- Water soluble vitamins are not readily stored as excess consumption of these vitamins is released through the production of urine. There aren’t many concerns about consuming excess of these vitamins as they can easily be released by the body. Of course, because of the nature of these vitamins they must be consumed on a regular basis.
- Fat soluble vitamins are stored in fatty tissue and there can be toxicity issues if taken in large amounts for a long time. These vitamins are better absorbed by the body if consumed with a little bit of fat (i.e. your salad full of veggies plus a little bit of olive oil will increase the absorption of fat soluble vitamins). Remember, it doesn’t mean a thing if you consume vitamins if nothing is being absorbed!
- There are sixteen known minerals that are essential as a part of our diets.
- Macrominerals are needed in larger amounts in the diet. There are seven macrominerals – Sodium, Potassium, Chloride, Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, and Sulfur.