So, food. Nutrition. Calories. Fat. Protein. Carbs. Calcium. Vitamin A. Minerals. Fiber. It’s all a big mumbo-jumbo of intricate yet exciting, relevant and extremely important information that is worth knowing. Why?
- In today’s society, you can’t take anything the food industry says at face value. Although this is a regulating body and you would expect them to know the best…they don’t. You need to remember that we only know what we want to know. Similarly, the food industry only touts and markets what THEY want YOU to know. The studies that food producers support tend to minimize health concerns and promote advertising of products. Junk food makers donate billions of dollars to nutritional associations. It’s a twisty turvy system that we simply cannot rely on 100%.
- “Healthy” foods today scream with labels “fat free”, “no cholesterol”…and these labels are complete crap!!! I cannot even begin to explain the absurdity behind half these labels. First of all, just to clarify, a food CANNOT have cholesterol in it unless it contains animal products (ie: meat, eggs, dairy). So, for a bag of chips to have a proud little “NO CHOLESTEROL!” label on it…is plain old tricky advertising. These companies create illusions and rope you in. Furthermore, fat free snacks such as 100 calorie packs are pretty useless nutritionally. Don’t get me wrong, they’re great substitutes, but don’t be fooled into thinking these foods are actually beneficial or healthy in any way. Its all relative. If you compare a 100 snack pack of oreos to real oreos..yes, they’re better for you. However, amongst the spectrum of healthy eating, 100 snack packs are still utterly useless. There’s no fiber, no vitamins, and basically you’re just eating artificially sweetened crackers.
- Since the majority of the public doesn’t really understand why things like vegetables are so crucial for health, it will affect you – whether its restaurants, take out, or even going to a friend’s house for dinner. It’s okay to eat half ass meals once in a while though – don’t get me wrong, I’m not telling you to stop eating your weekly icecream.
- Your. Health. Half the so called medical problems you have were probably caused due to your diet. Whether its 50 years from now and you have diabetes, or you’re 25 today and have a headache – food controls all. Yes, there are other factors that come into play when determining disease and illness – genetics, external factors, even stress – but food and nutrition play a huge role.
- LAST but not LEAST…knowledge!!! You can only make changes for yourself if you genuinely understand. We are human beings…not puppets. We need to make rational decisions for ourselves after understanding all the information that is out there – not because your mom said so, or because General Mills said so, or because the FDA said so. Just good to KNOW. 🙂